It all started when I had too many bananas left over that I was no longer able to eat, but wanted to use. You know when a banana is just WAY too brown and mushy? That's what I was dealing with, so I started looking for ways to put them to use. After sifting through numerous brownie and banana recipes, and picking and choosing what parts of recipes I wanted to use in mine, I finally came up with this one!
Fair warning, if you don't like bitter dark chocolate flavors, you'll just need to add sugar to the recipe! For my own purposes, I wanted to give it a try without using any sugar due to the fact that I was going to be using bananas, which are already naturally sweet. No worries though because I will be putting the sugar option into the recipe portion of this post.
Annnnnd... as always, let me know how it goes! Enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Banana Fudge Brownies
1/2 cup vegan butter (or regular unsalted butter)
2 large eggs (I haven't tested a sub like flax eggs yet)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas [approximately 2 to 3 bananas]
1 cup almond flour [or 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour]
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips/chunks
for more sweetness: 1 to 2 cups of your choice of sugar [brown, granulated, coconut, etc.]
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Use an 8x8 pan and line it with parchment paper.
3. Put your butter in a large bowl and put it in the microwave for 1 minute to melt, then take it out and stir. If the butter has not completely melted, keep microwaving it in intervals of 10 seconds.[Optional: if you use sugar, add it in while stirring butter!]
4. Add your eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix together, followed by your mashed bananas.
5. Now stir in your flour, then cocoa powder, then salt.
6. THE BEST PART: Stir in the chocolate chips!
7. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Check if the brownies are fully baked by inserting a toothpick (or fork if you don't have one) into the brownies and seeing if it comes out relatively clean. If it doesn't, set a timer for another 2-5 minutes!
8. Take it out of the oven, let it cool, and then enjoy!